Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Face of Defense: Marine Serves as Gunner, ‘Lioness’ in Iraq

CAMP AL TAQADDUM, Iraq, – Cpl. Susy H. Aguilar was a city girl from coastal California when she shocked her family and friends in 2005 to become the first in her family to join the Marine But joining the Marines was only the first step in many that would surprise and impress those around her... [snip]

“There was a little [Iraqi] boy who I had been interacting with,” ... “He was really scared, and wouldn’t leave my side. One of the grunts came back, gave me his flak jacket and told me to put it on the boy. He had no problem giving up his flak and risking his own safety. That is when I decided I wanted to do a more combat-related [job]. I wanted to be more like them.”

Before her next deployment to Iraq, Aguilar volunteered to go through the machine gunner’s course. She already had extended her enlistment contract in hopes of experiencing the deployment from the turret of an armored vehicle...

READ MORE

No comments: