Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Face of Defense: Medal Recipient Chooses Third Iraq Tour


CAMP TAJI, Iraq – Army Sgt. 1st Class Timothy Nein didn’t have to come back here. He served in Iraq twice before and was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross for his actions as a squad leader under fire. If anyone could have gotten a pass, it was Nein. But he wouldn’t take it.

"This is my job," he said. "This is what I chose to do, and it's what I'll continue to strive to do. I love what I do." [snip]
Under heavy fire, Nein and his squad put themselves and their vehicles between the insurgents and the convoy. Nein and Army National Guard Sgt. Leigh Ann Hester led a counterattack that saw 27 insurgents killed, seven captured and no deaths in their unit. Two soldiers were wounded.

Nein was awarded a Silver Star Medal that was upgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross. Only the Medal of Honor trumps the DSC among awards for valor in battle. Nein was the first member of the Guard to receive the award.

One reason Nein wanted to return to Iraq is to continue to witness, firsthand, the dramatic changes there.

"I probably didn't have to be here this time, but I don't think that I would have missed it," Nein said. "I feel honored to be a part of this."
READ MORE

No comments: