Friday, June 13, 2008

Trip home highlights changes brought by illegal immigration
Two weekends ago I was excited about attending my nephew's high school graduation in my hometown of El Paso, Texas, just across the Rio Grande from Juarez, Mexico.

Things have changed a lot.

The decision to allow students from Juarez had changed the standards and academic pride of the school, explained my nephew sadly. English is no longer the primary spoken or preferred language in El Paso, Texas. At the graduation ceremony for the class of 2008, one of the opening announcements was that specific parts of the ceremony would be in Spanish only... [snip]

The Boy Scouts paraded in with the flag. Guests were asked to stand. My family and I placed our hands over our heart to recite the Pledge to the Flag, as we had done so many times during our school years. However, many people in front and all around us refused to stand and continued to talk and conducted themselves with complete disrespect for the flag and the Pledge that only American citizens understand and appreciate.

It was then that I understood my nephew's sadness regarding the erosion of his rights as a citizen when the overwhelming majority of his classmates were not U.S. citizens...

READ MORE

No comments: