Thursday, February 5, 2009

It's hard to believe I'm no longer American

In the last several weeks I've learned that I am no longer an American. Given the taxes that I have paid, who would have known?

On the front of USA Today was the screaming headline, "Americans go gaga over first lady's inaugural gown." I didn't even know she had an inaugural gown. Then, and this is the tricky part, it turns out, according to rumor, that she hadn't actually picked out the gown she would wear; it was still before noon on the day of the inaugural.

I could not connect with the inauguration of our new president. Evidently, I would be gaga later, but the USA Today was so sure that I, as an American, would be gaga that the headline could be written in advance.

The day after the inauguration, the USA Today headline read, "Emotions reach heightened pitch across USA." I must be living in Canada; at least it is cold enough to be Canada. I worked all that day, leaving my office well after 10 p.m. My emotions were pretty stable, they weren't even "heightened," let alone pitched.

[The point: He's a government employee that is answerable to us - not the other way around. It's prudent to remember that.]

READ MORE

No comments: