Thursday, August 21, 2008

Docs Bailing Out of Medicare, Medicaid

Plummeting Reimbursement Rates Have Some Doctors Looking for a Way Out

"I have struggled to build up my practice, but my outlook gets worse each year," Tipsword said. "The current round of Medicare cuts -- which will cut my repayments, which are miniscule right now -- as well as increasing malpractice insurance coverage, despite an A+ rating, makes it less feasible for me to continue practice."
Tipsword is not alone. The Houston Chronicle reported last week that more and more Texas doctors are opting out of Medicare due to growing cuts in reimbursement. And the trend is not limited to Texas doctors. Primary care doctors from around the country have told ABC News that they too are either opting out of treating Medicare patients, or are preparing to do so... [snip]
"Due to all the daily headaches of practice -- referrals, endless duplicate paperwork to prove medical necessity, phone calls, documentation, etc. -- I would honestly love to get out of medicine altogether,"
[so let's put government in charge of everyone's health care]

READ MORE

No comments: