Monday, August 18, 2008

Basketball's Kobe Bryant on Patriotism


The reason this story is making waves is that first, it was unexpected and second, Bryant was obviously sincere when he said it.

NBC's Chris Collingwsorth, former pro football player, was interviewing basketball superstar Kobe Bryant and asked him about the first time he put on the "USA" uniform:

Kobe: "Well I had goosebumps and I actually just looked at it for awhile. I just held it there and I laid it across my bed and I just stared at it for a few minutes; just because as a kid growing up this is the ultimate, ultimate in basketball."

He asked where Byrant's patriotism comes from.

Kobe: "Well, you know it's just our country, it's... we believe is the greatest country in the world. It has given us so many great opportunities, and it's just a sense of pride that you have; that you say "You know what? Our country is the best!"

Collinsworth: "Is that a ‘cool' thing to say, in this day and age? That you love your country, and that you're fighting for the red, white and blue? It seems sort of like a day gone by(?)"

Kobe: "No, it's a cool thing for me to say. I feel great about it, and I'm not ashamed to say it. I mean, this is a tremendous honor."

Bryant's attitude was refreshing coming from a star athlete. You can watch the video here courtesy of Ms. Underestimated.

[Kobe: cool]
[NBC putz: not so much]

No comments: