Thursday, February 14, 2008

Heroes: Airman Drives 120 Convoys in Afghanistan

“I have learned so much about a lot of things, especially my job and the Afghan people,” she said. “I had the mentality they were all al Qaeda and Taliban until I talked to them. After spending time with the Afghans, I learned they don’t like the Taliban, either. Everything has gotten better since my arrival in March 2007. … Even the roads have improved.”

When she’s outside the wire, Velez is somewhat of a celebrity with the Afghan children. “They get excited because they see a female airman. They want to touch my hair and earrings,” she said. “The Afghans want to learn and have a lot of questions. They want to work and take care of their families like people in the United States do.”

This is Velez’s third deployment in three years, but she said she has no regrets.

“My job satisfaction comes from constantly thinking about all the people’s lives I have in my hands”

READ MORE

No comments: